Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Control Issues

I Has Them

I have control issues. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm not judging. I'm just saying. I'm not OCD. I'm not a neat freak. I don't insist on doing the same thing the same way every time. I just like feeling in control.

And okay, I do insist on doing some things the same way every time. The covers on the bed, for example. I like to start the night with the sheets and covers all lined up square with the bed. Mrs. C., on the other hand... Let's just say that when it comes to bedclothes, she projects an Aura of Discombobulation. You know Apple CEO Steve Jobs' Reality Distortion Field? Yeah. It's like that, only with bedclothes.

Anyway. I had a minor Life Event the other day, that required certain responses from me. I'd been thinking lately about my control issues, so I happened to notice what I did in that regard, in response to this event.

Controlling a Life Event: Day 1
Control the situation by deferring all necessary actions until the following day.

Controlling a Life Event: Day 2
Control the situation by taking all necessary action promptly. Well, try to. Get all anxious and distressed when other people aren't around to take my calls and do their part to complete the process. I mean, I'm ready. Why aren't they?

Not that there's anything wrong with that. It was interesting to notice, and I think it's worth filing away for future reference.

2 comments:

  1. Ways I have dealt with my own control issues:

    1.) Ride more roller coasters. They are an excellent way to learn to let go.

    2.) For about a year, I had swapped the digital watch I always wore on my wrist with a Disney's Goofy analog watch (the kind that runs backwards). If you can learn to deal with that subtle, yet monumental, change, you can deal with anything.

    3.) Get married. Nothing strips your ego away like never even attempting to win arguments any longer. (I know you've got this part down, but included it for completeness).

    4.) Have children. Learning to deal with extreme daily chaos makes you stronger.

    5.) Play multiplayer co-op games. If you're used to being in total control in single player, forcing yourself to work with a poorly organized team online will be frustrating. But maybe the fun will be strong enough to force you to learn how to deal with it.

    5.) Complete non-work related projects. Giving your control issues an outlet may help you meet your control needs, making you care less about it in other situations. When things get out of control, you can close your eyes and think "this sucks, but at least no one can screw up my killbot design."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stabby P - Regarding your #3, don't let him deceive you. He still wins an argument at least once a month. Twice in his birthday month... If I'm feeling generous.

    ReplyDelete